Saturday, November 5, 2011

Wind Turbines

Out cycling again, this time around Warren Air Force base - an air force base with no runway - you don't want to know. Not only does this base have 'things that must not be named,' they have a few wind turbines. For those of you wondering how loud these things are (when they are turning, that is), I couldn't hear the small ones (that were, in fact, turning) over the program I was listening to on my iPhone.

I could hear, however, the sound of a helicopter. I thought, "I didn't realize wind turbines made helicopter sounds." Then I saw the helicopter and thought, "Well, I guess it's time for me to get outta here."

The near turbine had blades that looked about twice as long as the blades on the turbines you can see in the distance. The big blades stood silent in the breeze. The far blades were turning, though.
 These are close ups of the massive turbine.

No comments:

Post a Comment