Sunday, July 15, 2012

Cattle Drive

The City of Cheyenne puts on a rodeo called Frontier Days (which costs taxpayers a poop-load of money every year, but I digress).

One of the events is a cattle drive. The drive starts at the north most point of my regular bike ride so I thought I would check it out.

I pull Mr. Bike off to the side of the road, behind a barbed wire fence, but was told I had to move to the south side of a dirt road. No problem, I say, but having been told the cattle's route, I wonder a bit about that advice; more on that later. 

The drive starts out with a few riders and a couple of wagons.


Looking between this soon to be important dirt road and the horizon you can see a bunch of little specs. So far so good.


The cattle are now making their way to this dirt road which, from the advice I received earlier, must be some sort of magical barrier the cattle will not cross. At least I hope not because there is nothing between me and the road. 


There are now, or soon to be, about 500 cattle making their way beside the fence I was standing behind.

Phew, someone has decided to sit on their horse between me and 500 cattle. I fell better already.


Hmmm, he rode away.


I am now looking longingly at the fence I had originally been standing behind which is, in fact, acting as a barrier to the 500 cattle. 


So far so good, they seem to be heading out along the magic dirt road. 


Here you can see where they are supposed to be heading.


Oh NO!  They've broken across the magical dirt road barrier!!  At this point, my heart rate is rising steadily. 


A cowboy sits - on the other side of the fence - on his horse. I said, "I knew I should have stayed on the other side of the fence. He said, "Don't worry, you'll be fine." I said, "thank you, oh savior."He just laughed. I'm not feeling better about this.


Heart rate is still rising. 

Heart rate is starting to go down as another cowboy, on my side of the fence, starts to shoo the cattle away. 

Phew! Two cowboys are shooing them away. I feel much better now. 

As you can see, these are not docile cows, but steers with action on their minds. 

 And long pointy horns.

They are all now being driven down the road on the other side of the fence from me. Heart rate is back to normal.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment